Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Tail Chasing.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Tail Chasing.   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 9:57 am

Just reading something else about tail chasing, Daisy does it something rotten she makes herself exhausted doing it.

I asked the trainer about it and was told it is something she likes to do it is not a dangerous thing for them to do, am I being naive about it? Is it really harmless or is it something to worry about?

She tends to do it when we come home and ignore her until she calms down, or when I am on the phone lol ignoring her again, sometimes just for the heck of it, I've never seen a dog spin as fast as she does and how she has not brained herself on things I don't know lol.

You opinions would be great thank you in advance.
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23371

PostSubject: Re: Tail Chasing.   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 10:06 am

Hi Jackie

This is only my opinion - but I would stop Daisy but distraction and or physically stopping her.

I feel chasing a tail is a game / physological / habit behavioural problem and I dont like to see dogs doing this. I suppose at 1st it may seem funny.

I would either try and recognise the chasing before it starts and try distraction with a chew stick or treat - however if Daisy starts then just get up and gently stop her with a firm NO and then reward the stopping with a treat.

Hope it helps, but this is only my opinion honey xx
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: Tail Chasing.   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 10:53 am

There is no harm in it unless she catches it and starts to bite it then you will have problems.

Try and stop her from doing it, she is possibly trying to attract your attention especially when you are on the phone.

I think if you treat her each time she does it, she will carry on doing it for a treat, if you see what I mean. Just an "Oi!" should do the trick.

Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Tail Chasing.   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 11:08 am

Ours do this occasionally and to be honest it seems mostly to be when they are playing up a bit and we don't pay them attention.

I have read that it is best to ignore them if they are not hurting themselves to the point of even leaving the room and shutting the door. I've also seen it described as an excess energy release - like if we start tapping our fingers / twiddling our thumbs etc.

I think also that if you offer any treat it mught be seen as a reward for the tail chasing.
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Tail Chasing.   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 11:21 am

Diesel does this too, he's nowhere ne ar as bad as he used to be, 100mph going nuts.
I think it is for attention, I have been told it's boredom (which it's NOT with Diesel anyway as like daisy he does it when we come in from walks sometimes)

We just tell him no and distract him, although it doesn't always work.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: Tail Chasing.   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 11:45 am

hmmm sorry i dont agree with your trainer jackie

whilst it can seem harmless it actually isnt what starts out as fun can quickly become obbsession i,ve worked with tail chasers a lot in the shelter and its awful to watch once it takes hold it cannot be stopped its like a drug to them i think i did a reply on here last year about it too

no trainer should deem it harmless tbh they should all actively work to stop it from the off i used to find dogs doing it funny when i was younger untill i worked with them and saw the gone out look on their faces and had to put a stunning dog down we worked with for months and month that did it it was heart breaking and still gets to me know when i thnk of her and how she was

it might seem funny at first and as long as it isnt allowed to become a regular thing it can be ok but it is actually a stress reliver to them its done for a reason being hyper can be the reason too thats when it becoes a problem as they start to get the endorphins from it and want more and more then before its realised its an obbession that cannot be sorted out
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23371

PostSubject: Re: Tail Chasing.   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 3:02 pm

Well written Dee - I was trying to say the same but you wrote it better then me lol - I blame my bruised thumb hehe xx
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: Tail Chasing.   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 3:21 pm

Buddy does it, not all the time, but a fair bit tbh.

Its not a boredom, its when he gets excited.

He is fine whilst out, but if him and Stel (and Enzo) start to play he will start chasing his tail and barking. I do the 'Oi' and 'Budddyyyyy' (in a nice voice) 9/10 times he does stop 1st or 2nd call, if he still carries on, I stick him back on his lead.

I dont know if he will ever stop. I personally dont see it as too much of a problem, I can think of worse things he'd do, but I would rather him not.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tail Chasing.   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 3:37 pm

its ok in moderation toni or from excitment as they rarely do it for long or very often so in that way its ok
but it is actually classified as a behaviour problem its when they constantly repeat it all the time for no reason like excitment that you need to watch them and try and stop it becoming a major issue that cant be cured and becomes detrimental to the dog

but this normally only happens if the dog is left in confined spaces for a long time or in kennels so in a normal happy home its unlikely to become a problem :)unless of course there is an underlying mental issue fomr say inbreeding etc
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: Tail Chasing.   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 4:43 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I have spoken to the vet about it and they tell me it's not a serious issue, when we come in from being out my dogs are really REALLY hyper and jump at you to get attention we come in go stand by the kitchen counter and ignore them until they have calmed down abit.

She will start spinning then and she goes crazy at 100mph, the trainer did say to get her to do something she knows like sit,down etc to distract her but it is harmless and they enjoy doing it.

She always does it when I am on the phone because she doesn't have my full attention, the trainer also said not to tell them off for it as she is still getting a reaction from me although its negative it's still attention.

Daisy is an extremely hyper dog and they have their daily walks and we have a decent size garden that they go hell for leather around, but the minute she is awake she is very very hyper.

Dee I can understand animals in shelters doing it stuck in their little cages, I can understand that could be a behavioural issue, I also think that she is doing it for attention she is definately a attention seeker lol.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tail Chasing.   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 4:59 pm

hehhe it sounds like it is def attention seeking its not serious in that way as long as it doesnt become a more prolonged thing it does take a while for the endorphines to kick in so it is just ignoring her so she stops :)) as i said it rarely becomes a behaviour issue in a normal healthy dog in a normal happy environment

in kennels or if left say all day in a crate it is bad very bad and is near impossible to cure
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tail Chasing.   

Back to top Go down

Tail Chasing.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1