Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Buffys behaviour worried jas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Buffys behaviour worried jas   Fri 11 Sep 2009, 10:53 pm

I went shopping today leaving buffs with jas and boo nothing out the ordinary or anything
but when i cam home jas said ignore me and boo for a bit and fuss buffy will you
when i asked what wa sthe matter he said from the minute i went out buffy has lay next to him shaking and crying she was also getting quite hot her on her ears and paws .
as soon as i came home he noticed she went straight back to her normal self
now im a little worried if ( hope it never does ) i ever have to go into hospital for a few days or when boo has her second her op and i have to stay with her which could be anything from one week to week's
buffy will make herself ill fretting , she is never like this with anyone else they go out she gives a little cry and wanders for a minute but then just settles down with me ,
she wouldnt even have a drink while she was with jas today and the weathers been quite hot and her food was still in her bowl to until i was in then she quickley ate it .
any ideas on how to help her i do go out quite a bit on my own so its not as if she not used to it
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: Buffys behaviour worried jas   Fri 11 Sep 2009, 11:07 pm

Perhaps she was having an off day.

Try to go out for 1 minute in the garden, come back fuss, 2 minutes, 5 minutes and build it up from there. Don't let her know you are just outside though. Go to half an hour and so on and see if that helps her.

Failing that when you go out put her in her crate and shut it, when you come home let her out for the time being, so that if you have to go away she will get used to you not being there.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Buffys behaviour worried jas   Fri 11 Sep 2009, 11:17 pm

i feel tight putting her in her crate when i go out and someones home , its just so strange to how she was when aimee's in to she is fine and i know jas not done anything to her he shouts at me when i tell her off lol
ill try the outside one see how she is , pippa was never like this so never had to go through it before she couldnt care less if you was in or out aslong as she was fed and watered lololol
buffy on the other hand likes everyone to betogether she doesnt like it that me and jas are in one room and aimee in another as she has to travel from room to room to check on us .
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Buffys behaviour worried jas   Sat 12 Sep 2009, 9:11 am

She might be thinking you are going off for food or treats or a walk without her, so try and go out for bits and come in with nothing but a hello and then straight on to what you are doing she should soon realise that sometimes you go and come right back sometimes you go and come back with stuff and its not for her and sometimes you take her too.

Just try it day by day, but don't let her know you are outside the door at least walk up the road a little so you are out of sight. If you can get Jas to observe exactly what she does.

Don't feel tight about putting her in the crate when people are in, mine are not let out in the morning until we have all had a wash and then it is their time to come out and say hello and have a bit of fun and a wee, they get used to waiting and not being the centre of attention all the time.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Buffys behaviour worried jas   Sat 12 Sep 2009, 9:24 am

I cannot add anything to what Sandi has said. When I go out and leave Reuben with the OH he whimpers a bit and then settles, Chloe does not bother.
However if I go out at night he will not settle until I get home, again Chloe does not seem to mind.
He never goes to the extent that he will not eat though. Like Sandi, in a morning he is in his cage until we are ready and Chloe just stays in the bedroom and we have to literally drag her up
Hope you mange to get it sorted Jo
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Buffys behaviour worried jas   Sat 12 Sep 2009, 1:02 pm

thank you both will try the walking out bit let jas see how she is
jas is a little worried to how she is when we both go out now although we know she doesnt make a sound we have asked the neighbours allready ,
but she is crated when we are all out
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Buffys behaviour worried jas   Sat 12 Sep 2009, 3:40 pm

Admin Jo wrote:
thank you both will try the walking out bit let jas see how she is
jas is a little worried to how she is when we both go out now although we know she doesnt make a sound we have asked the neighbours allready ,
but she is crated when we are all out

Thats exactly it and she probably knows the difference and settles. She just needs to learn to do the same thing when it is just you going out and about.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Buffys behaviour worried jas   Sat 12 Sep 2009, 3:43 pm

she worse than the kids for having us worried lol
will try me popping out and leaving her if that still dont work will try the crate while im out and ask jas just to let her out for wee ect she seems to have gone very clingy to me suddenley i did think maybe it was because i have been unwell and she has picked up on it ,
will try whats been suggested and see how it goes xxxx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Buffys behaviour worried jas   Sun 20 Sep 2009, 8:18 pm

How has Buffy been since Jo?
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female
Number of posts : 430

PostSubject: Re: Buffys behaviour worried jas   Sun 20 Sep 2009, 8:39 pm

Jo this is how I handle dogs like this and every dog I have had has had seperation anxiety which is what Buffy has.

When you are working round the house and she follows you, ignore her, only speak to her when you need her to move then just to ask that. You need to make yourself very very boring to her when you are working. She will get bored and eventually go off and do her own thing, that is what you want. This is the first step in her becoming independent from you and this will develop.

This is a much kinder way than forcing her to be apart from you and it works, how long it works is up to the dog, some take a lot longer than others but well worth the work.

I hate using force on any dog and if I can get what I want without it, then that is what I will do even though it takes longer.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Buffys behaviour worried jas   Sun 20 Sep 2009, 10:03 pm

well me jas boo jayleigh and james went to wales for the night and buffy stayed with aimee no problems aimee said buff has been fantastic been for walks eaten and generally been well behaved she hasnt stressed at all :D
so im thinking even though she loves jas wether she worries because im out on me own
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female
Number of posts : 430

PostSubject: Re: Buffys behaviour worried jas   Mon 21 Sep 2009, 9:00 am

Jo I don't try to analise why a dog is behaving in a certain way until later, far too much time is taken up in the whys when we should be using this time to try and solve the problem. The longer we are into the why we are not trying to solve the problem so I work out management first, then how to solve the problem, then when I have all this in place, I think about why it happened. The why is sometimes important but often it isn't but until we are on the way to solving the problem, we don't know if knowing why is relevant or not.

Hope you can understand that.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Buffys behaviour worried jas   Mon 21 Sep 2009, 9:19 am

yep i do , i was only thinking though that she is fine when left with me and she was brill for aimee the only one she she gets worked up with is jas , buffy does like everyone in the same place when we are out if one walks off she will cry and cry until we are next to them if we drop james at school we have to virtually drag her away from the gates as she sits and refuses to move .
the only time she gets worked up is as i say when she is left with jas and im out now i know for a fact that jas has never so much as raised his voice with her by all means she is his dog as she will do anything for him , its just strange that when left with jas she gets so worked up , we have left her in crate on her own as if we have all gone out and she settles down until we come in .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buffys behaviour worried jas   

Back to top Go down

Buffys behaviour worried jas
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1