Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Strange night time behaviour

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31850

PostSubject: Strange night time behaviour   Thu 30 Dec 2010, 1:33 pm

For a few months now Reuben refuses to go to the toilet in the back garden before bed time. He is happy to go in the garden any other time but when it is dark he refuses to go and I have had to let him on the front which I dont like to do.
Anyway the snow came and was very deep for a couple of weeks and during this time he was quite happy to go out and pee before bed.
Anyway this week he has gone back to refusing to move from the back door, even if I go in the garden and shout him. We have a security light so I dont know if it is the dark bothering him?
Last night I put him on the lead to walk around the garden and he refused to move and I had to drag him which did not help and he still stood there with his tail between his legs and again refused to pee which he will usually do on command.

I then let him out on the front and he immediately ran out onto the front garden and had a pee.

I have tried putting him in the back and shutting the door and he just stands there. I have tried standing out with him and he is the same. Chloe is out at the same time and that does not make a difference either.

I dont know what to try with him now. Our front is all open so I dont really like putting him out there in case he sees a cat or a fox. I could take him on the front on his extender lead but I really would like to sort out the issue with the back garden

Nothing has changed in the garden and like I say he has been like this for months now, there are no new plants, pots etc. We have always had foxes but he is not sniffing the air like he does when he scents a fox on the front so I dont think it is that?

Any thoughts on how to deal with it?

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4517

PostSubject: Re: Strange night time behaviour   Thu 30 Dec 2010, 2:00 pm

How strange!

I have noticed that Cody has very strange moments too and I think it must be a staffy thing. I have no idea Jo and don't really know what to suggest.

Cody was odd last night because I shut the living room door! We never normally shut the door unless we are out to stop the cats getting in there but last night I decided to shut the door to keep it cosy while we all watched tv. Cody spent the entire time it was shut, with his tail between his legs, ears back and refused to lay down anywhere. He even started falling asleep standing up just facing the door! As soon as I opened the door he went out into the hall, looked round, came back and lay on the rug and fell asleep, quite happy!!

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23371

PostSubject: Re: Strange night time behaviour   Thu 30 Dec 2010, 2:25 pm

Ohhh thats a strange one - the only thing that springs to my mind is either foxes scent in the garden which bothers Reuben or maybe night vision is maybe impared - when the snow was down - it may either cover the fox scent or Reuben may be able to see better with the reflection - and now the snow has gone he feels uncomfortable.

Since Reuben can go pee front way I would probably not push Reuben to pee out the back way - sometimes with all good intentions we could make the behaviour worse by tring too hard xxxx

Diesel is strange too about peeing in the garden too xx
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: Strange night time behaviour   Thu 30 Dec 2010, 2:52 pm

Something in the garden has frightened him and it happened at night time, so it will be difficult to persuade him to go out at night. Just keep going out with him and standing with him he will get the hang of it again.

Eddi won't go out in the back garden alone at night time so I just stand with him and he is fine.
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Strange night time behaviour   Thu 30 Dec 2010, 3:29 pm

i dont think dogs see as good as us in the dark
and it freaks them out at times not being able to see things clearly
its a rods and cones thing
just my idea, no medical backing
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Strange night time behaviour   Thu 30 Dec 2010, 6:07 pm

The front is dark as well but he is happy to go there.
We have lights built into the conservatory wall and have put all them on tonight so the garden is illuminated but it is still the same.
Also tried treats but he is having none of it.

Jackie, I have stood outside with him for 20 mins and he stands there shivering with his tail between his legs so I gave in and took him in the front. The only thing is he got really excited thinking he was going for a walk as I got his extender lead out.

Will have to stick to the front for now and hopefully lighter nights are not too far away :-)

Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: Strange night time behaviour   Thu 30 Dec 2010, 6:35 pm

Something scared him in the garden hun, and as it was said before dogs vision is not as good at night time. Whether it was a frog or something that scared him whilst he was going to the toilet.

With Eddi he won't go right down the back garden at night only on the patch outside the back door where he can see me standing, just take him on his lead a few times every night just to try and reassure him.

If he has been scared whilst weeing then it will take a awful lot for him to go wee there in the night again as he will be thinking if I wee tonight something will scare me again.

Eddi will go down the garden during the day and wee like there was never a issue but soon as it's dark he won't go unless i am standing at the back door watching him just outside the back door.
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: Strange night time behaviour   Thu 30 Dec 2010, 6:46 pm

I think something has spooked him in the garden somwhow, maybe a frog or something has jumped while he has been out there or a noise in some bushes in the wind maybe?

I know you will think I am gaga (if you don't already) but get some orange peel and put that in the garden where he normally goes, if there is any sign of a fox it won't come by that - works on some, or to be totally gaga if you think it is a fox scaring him at night get a man to pee in your garden, yup you read that right, put it on Ian's list of jobs to do lol!

Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Strange night time behaviour   Thu 30 Dec 2010, 6:59 pm

I think he can smell the foxes, cassie goes out and starts barking and barking, normally I say pee and she goes straight away, however not at the moment I have to shine the torch down the garden and she eventually goes, but not without me standing for a time getting cold and repeating pee pee.

as you say role on lighter nights.

cant think of anything to add to whats already been said, but good luck me darlin xx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Strange night time behaviour   Thu 30 Dec 2010, 7:03 pm

We do have a resident frog, no idea why as we have no water. No idea what has spooked him but I think I will try walking him around with the lead on and see how we get on.

I thinned down a lot of the bamboo in summer, that makes a noise when it is windy?

Will have to see if we can work through whatever it is that has spooked him

Thanks for all your suggestions x

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Strange night time behaviour   Fri 31 Dec 2010, 6:12 am

~Sandi~ wrote:
I think something has spooked him in the garden somwhow, maybe a frog or something has jumped while he has been out there or a noise in some bushes in the wind maybe?

I know you will think I am gaga (if you don't already) but get some orange peel and put that in the garden where he normally goes, if there is any sign of a fox it won't come by that - works on some, or to be totally gaga if you think it is a fox scaring him at night get a man to pee in your garden, yup you read that right, put it on Ian's list of jobs to do lol!

Your not totally gaga Sandi, I've just learnt something new about the orange peel and the man peeing in the garden. Thank you spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange night time behaviour   

Back to top Go down

Strange night time behaviour
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1