Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

A crate question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4517

PostSubject: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 1:31 pm

We have had Cody's crate back out for over a week now and he is getting much better with it.

He will now happily run into it for meal times and treat times and will sleep in it during the day even if I don't shut him in it. He is really starting to see it as a nice place.

I am also stopping any other pets from going in his crate and also stopping him and the cats going in Daisy's crate. They both seem to understand now that they have one each and it's there's and there's only.

Only problem is that in doing this Cody has started to behave in the same way as Daisy. When he is in his crate with a treat or food, if the door is open or closed, he will growl and snap at any other pet that goes past or is even in his eyeline. Unlike Daisy, he has not done this towards me or Kay.

Question is, do I allow him to do this as I want him to feel it is his crate, his space or should I try and stop this. If so how? He gets upset very easily and if I were to tell him off while he is in his crate I know for sure he will not want to get in it agin for a while.

I'm stuck as to what is best to do.
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 1:54 pm

In his crate or not I think its unacceptable that his being like it.

I would ensure the crate is closed every time he has a treat or any food, just to save any - accidents - it may be a warning rather than anything more but it only has to happen once and he could easily badly hurt Diva or Candy, even if he doesnt mean too.

Is Daisy snapping at you and Kay? no way
Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 2:00 pm

I think it is a warning, it's like a snap of his mouth after a short growl but I agree, I wouldn't want to risk it. The cats and Daisy, if she is out, seem to get the hint and move away but I don't like seeing it.

Daisy is a litle cow and always has been, she growls at me and Kay and will show her teeth. She even started growling at Kay if she tried to lift her off the sofa which is why the dogs are only allowed up if I say so.
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 2:34 pm

I totally agree with Toni keep the door closed just in case.

Also if Daisy growls at Kay when on the settee I wouldn't allow her on there under any circumstances. She must understand that Kay is above her in the pecking order of the " family / pack".

Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 3:28 pm

Have either of your dogs been castrated/neutered? That will cause issues, Cody is reaching sexual maturity and the hormones can cause all sorts of behavioural issues.

My 1st job would be to get them both fixed that will sort the hormones out within a couple of months. Try removing the crates completely if they are having issues in them. If you are giving them treats put them into seperate rooms to eat them.

If you let the dogs on the sofas one minute then tell them no the next that sends confusing messages and they don't know if they are coming or going, it's either one thing or the other. If one of them growls etc take them and put them outside the room and close the door for a couple of minutes, they will learn when they do this they get sent out.

Dogs don't growl for no reason so need to get to the root of the problem.
Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 3:33 pm

Cody is being castrated in a few weeks time.

I can't get rid of the crates as the whole reason I had to get them out again was to stop the fighting and was adviced to put them in crates for treats and food.

No wonder the dogs are confuesd, I am now lol!

I will stop them going on the sofa now. I agree, there is no point letting them now anyway seeing as they have their own crates to sleep on.
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 3:37 pm

Well the crates are obviously not working for whatever reason, I'm not there so can't see how it is all being done.

Seperate them into different rooms if you give them treats that way they won't even be able to see each other.
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 3:52 pm

To be honest Louise I think you should stick with the plan for now. It sounds like you have worked hard at getting Cody back into his crate and he is getting there.

Daisy is in her own space in her crate and can be left to eat until she is finished without throwing a wobbler , also Cody if the door is shut, is safely tucked away and there is no chance of a fight.

Because you have had issues with fighting I think you do need to give them the safe place feeling of the crates.

Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 4:00 pm

Well I only put my 2 pence worth in, I would not want my dogs to be aggressive when they are in the crates. Getting them both fixed is a must, yes you are getting cody done I saw that but I think Daisy needs doing too.

Seperating them out into different rooms is stopping the fighting when they have treats, and they also wont be any type of aggression as they can't see each other. If my dogs were fighting over treats then the treats would stop easy really.

If they are fine otherwise then stopping what causes the problems seems to me the simplest thing to do. If you need the crates for when you go out etc then don't give them treats in there.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 4:01 pm

ok
having read all this i,m inclinded to agree with jackie here the crates arent working as they should for you so my thinking would be that having the crates in the same room isnt really helping and cody should not be growling at you in one at all thats totally unacceptable maybe being able to see daisy is the issue here more than you again this could be down to hormones from both sides cody once done might help here
but then daisy will be top dog in her view as shes not done

so an idea
move one crate to the kitchen leave one where it is this removes them from seeing each other and will tell you if its the other dog or you that codys means to growl at he should not be allowed to be crate possessive any more than daisy is on the sofa

i,ve had 6 dogs before did for over 15 yrs ish and never had this issue nor did i use crates and all were allowed on beds and sofas etc so not used to crates at all but logic tells me its not helping being in same room for your dogs right now crates are trial an error
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 4:20 pm

Reading Louises post again Cody is not growling at Louise or Kay or Daisy - Louises question was about him snarling at the cat coming close to his crate when he was eating.

Louise posted about some issues with the dogs and is following some very good advice to use the crates for feeding and treats to keep the dogs seperate at this time. Cody has only been reintroduced to his crate for about a week it's still early days and maybe it's better to keep going ?

Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 4:25 pm

wids wrote:
Reading Louises post again Cody is not growling at Louise or Kay or Daisy - Louises question was about him snarling at the cat coming close to his crate when he was eating.

Nearly, its Cody growling/snapping at the cats and Daisy, Daisy is at her and Kay!

I cant really comment because Ive never used crates with either of mine, ive probably been lucky, or just too bossy for them to get their own way lol!
Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 4:26 pm

Just to point out, Cody is not growling or snapping at me or Kay. Just at The cats or Daisy if they walks past the crate. (Edit: Sorry, just seen the above posts and it was pointed out)

Also he can't see Daisy in her crate and she can't see him as they both have blankets covering the top and sides so they can only see out the front and they are not opposite each other.

I really don't want to take the crates away right now. I think i will have to see what happens after Cody's castration.

Daisy will be done but timing is always a problem with her as I have explained many times before as she goes as much as a year between seasons.

Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 4:33 pm

well thats why i suggested moving him to another room maybe away from the cats he shouldnt really be snarling at anything thing while in there
was just a suggestion to see if in the issue can be sorted while keeping the crates till he is done

removing the problem to start is a the first step to solving the issue he seems to have it can take time to work it out
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 4:40 pm

Well as i've said before the crates are the issue, so you need to sort that out and leaving it as it is really is obviously not helping the situation, move the crates to different rooms, so that there is nothing walking past the crate when they are inside it.
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 4:49 pm

Tend to agree that you shouldn't continue as you are going as it's not working,

Maybe you could try the seperate rooms.

I definetly wouldn't be letting Daisy away with growling at you and Kayleigh

I think you need to reestablish yourself as pack leader and take more control over both of them to start with.
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 5:41 pm

I agree with Claire first and foremost that you need to establsh yourself as pack leader.

I think as was advised by many before that you should crate for treats.

You say that Cody is quite liking the crate, it is brilliant that you have covered up the crate as well so the only view is the front. he is now claiming that as his 'space' and grumbling if another pet walks past, you need to tell him not to do this each time and he should quieten down. When you feed him treats or food, I would shut the door, when he has finished, open the door, if he wants to stay in there fine, but don't let him grumble at passers by.

You have only been trying this for a little while, I think you have done the right thing so far and just need more time for Cody and yourself to get used to it.

I would go for keeping it up for the time being but supervise it.

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31916

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 6:12 pm

I think you need to give it more time too, the crates have only been out for a short while.
It is not acceptable that they growl though and that should be stopped.

Small steps Louise, you have reintroduced the crates and they both settle in them.
Now is the next step of dealing with the growling and I agree with the others you need to assert your authority over them. If your voice is not strong enough use something that will make a noise to stop it immediately.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A crate question   

Back to top Go down

A crate question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1